Outdoor fire pit installation is a timeless addition to any landscape design project. However, for Yarmouth residents, the question remains – will you need a permit for outdoor fire pit installation in Yarmouth, Massachusetts?
Whether sitting in solitude or entertaining family and friends, outdoor fire pit installation enhances your landscape design and adds ambiance otherwise lacking in most residential landscape design.
A fire pit offers more than just a visual spectacle; but serves a variety of purposes. Homeowners can cook with their fire pit, heat water, extend the outdoor season, and potentially increase their home value.
While it’s easy to see why homeowners in Yarmouth are investing in outdoor fire pit installation, what’s less obvious is whether a permit is needed to begin this popular landscape design project.
Do I Need a Permit for Outdoor Fire Pit Installation in Yarmouth, Massachusetts?
According to the Town of Yarmouth, outdoor fire pit installation in Yarmouth can occur without a permit, though homeowners must follow a strict set of guidelines.
- The fire pit must be used for cooking
- The fire must remain small and manageable
- Always use dry, seasoned wood to avoid wafting smoke that could irritate neighbors
- The Yarmouth Fire Department may investigate your property if they receive complaints from neighbors that smoke has become bothersome.
- The fire pit must be installed on a flat surface that is non-combustible. Additionally, an area of 15’ in all directions must be cleared of any vegetation or combustibles.
- The fire pit must be installed at least 30 feet away from any habitable structure.
- Fire pits are NOT allowed on decks and must be installed on a stable surface.
How Much Does it Cost to Build an Outdoor Fire pit?
Outdoor fire pit installation in Yarmouth is an affordable landscape design option for homeowners. With a fire pit, homeowners can extend the outdoor season, utilizing the backyard well into autumn and early winter.
According to Home Advisor, the average cost of outdoor fire pit installation in Yarmouth is $700 but can cost well over $1,000 depending on fire pit size, materials, and other considerations. Still, this makes an outdoor fire pit one of the most affordable landscape design projects for homeowners in Yarmouth and the entirety of Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
Outdoor Fire Pit Safety Tips
Outdoor fire pit installation is an exciting project for any homeowner, but it’s important to remember important safety measures.
Before using your new fire pit, remember these backyard fire safety tips:
- Check the direction of the wind before lighting a fire
- Do NOT use gasoline, lighter fluid, or any other flammable fluid to light a fire.
- Avoid wearing loose-fitting clothing or flammable materials, such as nylon, when lighting a fire.
- Keep children under the age of 18 and pets at least 3 feet away from the fire.
- Ensure your home has a fire extinguisher, garden hose, or bucket of water in case of a fire pit emergency.
- Do not leave the fire unattended at any time.
Check out our gallery for newly completed landscape design projects, and get inspired for your next landscape design remodel!