FIRE PIT INSTALLATION IS AN INCREASINGLY POPULAR LANDSCAPE DESIGN TREND, ESPECIALLY DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, BUT DO YOU NEED A PERMIT FOR A FIRE PIT IN Wayland, MASSACHUSETTS?
Whether you’re enjoying a peaceful moment alone or entertaining family and friends, outdoor fire pit installation enhances your landscape design and adds a degree of ambiance and soothing nature in residential landscape design projects.
A fire pit is not only aesthetically pleasing and keeps your and your family cozy outdoors, but serves a variety of useful purposes. Homeowners can cook with their fire pit, heat water, extend the outdoor season, and potentially increase their home value.
While it’s easy to see why homeowners in Wayland, Massachusetts are investing in outdoor fire pit installation, what’s less obvious is whether you will need a permit for a fire pit in Wayland to begin this popular landscape design project.
Do I Need Permit For A Fire Pit in Wayland, Massachusetts?
- The fire pit must be used for outdoor cooking and recreational purposes only.
- The fire must remain small and manageable.
- A fire must always be tended to by a responsible adult.
- The fire pit must be at least 25 feet away from a structure or combustible material.
- A working garden hose or fire extinguisher must be on hand in case of emergencies.
- Outdoor fire pits recreational fires ARE NOT INCINERATORS. The burning of trash, rubbish, painted or stained wood, and construction debris is prohibited and requires an open fire permit. Open burning season runs from January 15th to May 1st and a valid permit obtained from the local Fire Department.
- The fire must not disturb your neighbors or cause a health hazard. To prevent fire smoke from drifting into your neighbors’ yard, make sure always to burn dry seasoned wood.
- The Wayland Fire Department reserves the right to investigate your property should they receive any complaints related to fire burning. In this case, you may be instructed to extinguish the fire.
- Never use an accelerant to start a fire.
If you have questions about a fire pit in Wayland, please contact the Wayland Fire Department at 508-358-4747.
How Much Does it Cost to Build a Fire pit in Wayland, Massachusetts?
Outdoor fire pit installation in Wayland is an affordable landscape design option for homeowners. With a fire pit, homeowners can extend the outdoor season, utilizing the backyard well into autumn and early winter.
According to Home Advisor, the average cost of an outdoor fire pit in Wayland is $700 but can cost well over $1,000 depending on fire pit size, materials, and other considerations. Still, this makes an outdoor fire pit one of the most affordable landscape design projects for homeowners in Wayland and across all South Shore in Massachusetts.
Outdoor Fire Pit Safety Tips
Outdoor fire pit installation is an exciting project for any homeowner, but it’s important to remember important safety measures.
Before using your new fire pit, remember these backyard fire safety tips:
- Check the direction of the wind before lighting a fire
- Do NOT use gasoline, lighter fluid, or any other flammable fluid to light a fire.
- Avoid wearing loose-fitting clothing or flammable materials, such as nylon, when lighting a fire.
- Keep children under the age of 18 and pets at least 3 feet away from the fire.
- Ensure your home has a fire extinguisher, garden hose, or bucket of water in case of a fire pit emergency.
- Do not leave the fire unattended at any time.
Check out our gallery for newly completed landscape design projects, and get inspired for your next landscape design remodel!