Outdoor fire pit installation is a timeless addition to any landscape design project. However, for Brookline residents, the question remains – will you need a permit for a fire pit in Brookline, Massachusetts?
Whether sitting in solitude or entertaining family and friends, outdoor fire pit installation enhances your landscape design and adds ambiance otherwise lacking in most residential landscape design.
A fire pit offers more than just a visual spectacle; but serves a variety of purposes. Homeowners can cook with their fire pit, heat water, extend the outdoor season, and potentially increase their home value.
While it’s easy to see why homeowners in Brookline are investing in outdoor fire pit installation, what’s less obvious is whether a permit is needed to begin this popular landscape design project.
Do I Need a Permit for a Fire Pit in Brookline, Massachusetts?
According to the Town of Brookline, outdoor fire pit installation can occur without a permit. The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) offers strict guidelines that Brookline residents must follow to ensure residents comply with local laws.
- A fire must be contained to a reasonable size.
- A fire pit must be installed far away from combustible material and tended by someone over 18.
- For safety purposes, only burn clean, dry firewood. This is a health concern as burning other types of wood could force the smoke to drift away from your property, impacting neighbors.
- You may not burn trash, refuse, or other similar materials.
- If you are unsure about any of these guidelines, contact the Brookline Fire Department for more information.
How Much Does it Cost to Build an Outdoor Fire pit?
Outdoor fire pit installation is an affordable landscape design option for homeowners in Brookline. With a fire pit, homeowners can extend the outdoor season, utilizing the backyard well into autumn and early winter.
According to Home Advisor, the average cost of outdoor fire pit installation in Brookline is $700 but can cost well over $1,000 depending on fire pit size, materials, and other considerations. Still, this makes an outdoor fire pit one of the most affordable landscape design projects for homeowners in Brookline and across Massachusetts.
Outdoor Fire Pit Safety Tips
Outdoor fire pit installation is an exciting project for any homeowner, but it’s important to remember important safety measures.
Before using your new fire pit, remember these backyard fire safety tips:
- Check the direction of the wind before lighting a fire
- Do NOT use gasoline, lighter fluid, or any other flammable fluid to light a fire.
- Avoid wearing loose-fitting clothing or flammable materials, such as nylon, when lighting a fire.
- Keep children under the age of 18 and pets at least 3 feet away from the fire.
- Ensure your home has a fire extinguisher, garden hose, or bucket of water in case of a fire pit emergency.
Check out our gallery for newly completed landscape design projects, and get inspired for your next landscape design remodel!