A fence is not only a great way to keep your children and pets safe but to enhance curb appeal, increase property value, and offer a quaint New England aesthetic to any residential property in Massachusetts.
While there are many different materials for fences, wood and vinyl are the most popular materials available, but how much does each cost? Before we discuss the cost of the most popular fence options, let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of each.
What are the Pros and Cons of Vinyl and Wood Fencing?
Wood fencing and Vinyl fencing are both available in a variety of styles and offer a comfortable degree of privacy, but they are not made equal. So what are the pros and cons of wood and vinyl fencing anyway?
Pros & Cons of a Vinyl Fence
White Vinyl Fence
- Looks like new for a longer time
- Does not expand or contract
- Stands up well against rain and extreme temperatures, and pests
- Easy to clean and maintain with soap and water
- Increase the value of your home
- Not as aesthetically pleasing
- Susceptible to wind damage
- Dirt is easier to see, and frequent cleaning is required
- If a buyer does not like the finish of the vinyl fence, the entire structure needs to be replaced.
Pros & Cons of a Wood Fence
- Natural look
- Blends into a natural environment organically
- Stands up well in windy weather
- Dirt is more difficult to see
- Can be painted and updated with ease
- Can degrade more quickly, negatively impacting curb appeal
- Wooden boards can warp, leaving spaces in between each panel
- Insects and moisture can lead to rotting, decreasing stability.
- Debris can become stuck in between each picket, making cleaning difficult at times.
- Can reduce curb appeal if not properly maintained
How Much Does a Vinyl Fence Cost?
The cost of vinyl fence installation in Massachusetts depends on the size of your property and how much fencing you need. A typical job can range anywhere between $2,000 and $8,000, with average material cost currently at $20 per foot.
The average cost of a vinyl fence installation is $3,679.
How Much Does a Wood Fence Cost?
Like a vinyl fence, the cost of wood fence installation depends on how much fencing you need.
Wood fence installation in Massachusetts is more affordable than vinyl, with the typical job cost ranging from $1672 to $6,000 on the high-end. The average nationwide cost is $2,773.
Should I Choose Wood or Vinyl Fencing for my Landscape Design Project?
The decision between vinyl and wood fencing for your landscape design project comes down to budget, landscape size, weather, and how the amount of time you are willing to give to maintenance.
While a wooden fence is more affordable than vinyl and can be easily updated and maintained, it can degrade more quickly and rot. Vinyl is more expensive, susceptible to wind damage, and requires frequent cleaning, but maintains curb appeal for a longer period and can increase the value of the home.
To learn more about fence installation in Massachusetts, the keys to a successful outdoor living project, and more, visit the JM Mento Landscape Design Services page and schedule a free consultation today!