The cost to install an irrigation system in Massachusetts depends on a variety of factors, but with the right landscape designer, homeowners can save money and have the best looking front yard on the block!
If we have anything in common as homeowners in Massachusetts, it’s the amount of water we must use to maintain a green and lush landscape. While excessive amounts of water will keep your lawn healthy, watering a lawn is time-consuming, exhausting, and often results in overwatering and high utility bills, and a wasted weekend.
An irrigation system allows for automatic water application, which helps conserve water, ensuring your lawn isn’t overwatered. While the cost to install an irrigation system is an investment, Massachusetts residents save on monthly water costs, effectively paying off irrigation system installation over time. An irrigation system will also increase the value of your home.
How is an Irrigation System Installed?
To install an irrigation system, a landscape design team will install various tubes, pumps, and sprays underground. An underwater irrigation or sprinkler system is the most common type and is found deep underground to ensure homeowners do not accidentally strike the system.
While irrigation system installation should be completed by a certified installation professional and landscape architect, there are some helpful insights for homeowners as they prepare to install an irrigation system.
Preparing for Irrigation System Installation:
- Look at the type of grass on your lawn – this could impact irrigation installation.
- What type of soil do you use? Soil type also impacts irrigation efficiency.
- While an irrigation system helps control moisture in the soil, supplying more water than the soil can absorb will result in runoff.
- Ask your landscape designer what permits are required in your community if any.
- Make sure you or your landscape contractor checks for existing underground utilities before digging begins.
- Know your local watering ordinances.
Initial Irrigation System Installation Consultation: What to Expect
During your consultation regarding the cost to install an irrigation system, homeowners from Boston to Duxbury should expect an informative process and a job site visit from their chosen landscape designer. A typical landscape design process includes:
Initial Site Meeting
● Meet on-site to discuss your landscape design remodel
● Listen to your visions and concerns
● Provide you with initial design options and ideas
● Discuss approximate project budget
● Discuss materials you like and dislike, along with maintenance requirements.
● Obtain a plot plan (survey plan) from the client
● Measure property and take photos to create a Sketch Plan
● Detailed proposal sent to clients
● Proposal to include price, design specifications, design format, and type of design.
● The client has the option to accept the proposal and job deposit. Deposit varies by project.
● Each client will receive a completed design presentation.
● Work with clients to discuss possible modifications and changes.
● Provide clients with approximate pricing for the work described.
● Provide clients with material quantities and samples.
How Much Does it Cost to Install an Irrigation System?
According to Home Advisor, the cost to install an irrigation system ranges from $1,916 to $3,332. The national average cost to install an irrigation system is $2,613.
There are a variety of factors that affect the price when installing an irrigation system, including:
- The size of your property
- Site conditions
- Landscape slope
- Quality of parts
- The type of irrigation system
- System upgrades
You can learn more about the factors that impact the price of irrigation installation here.
Check out our gallery for newly completed landscape design projects, and get inspired for your next landscape design remodel!